Hall of Fame
NOTE: the Hall of Fame committee is in process of updating the criteria to represent the ever changing impact that Athletic Trainers make to our profession within Louisiana. Because of this, we have asked them to refine the criteria to better represent the changing aspects and demands dictated within our current work culture. The 2023 class will be inducted under those new guidelines and we look forward to advancing the profession in a diverse manner.
The Hall of Fame Committee Chairman is appointed by the President of the Association and the committee is made of five members appointed by the Chairman. By tradition, the chairman and the committee members must be current members of the Hall of Fame. This group of dedicated members of the LATA have the responsibility for maintains the Hall of Fame display in the Superdome (Gate C, Level 200). Additionally, the committee serves historical source for the Association.
UPDATED NOMINATION FORM
I. Selection of Inductees to the Hall
The committee considers candidates in four categories.
- Historical Membership
- Athletic Trainers
- Special Members
1. Historical Members:
- The Hall goes back to the very beginnings of athletic training in Louisiana. Members in this group are researched by the committee.
- The committee uses historical information from the NATA.
- SEATA and discussions with coaches, athletes, others associated with the candidates.
- The committee requires that candidates must spent a good portion of their career in Louisiana.
- Examples of Hall of Fame Members in this category:
- Tad Gromley - First athletic trainer in Louisiana; Stadium in NOLA
- Mike Chambers - Athletic Trainer and namesake of mascot at LSU
- Claude Monk Simmons - Early athletic trainer at LSU
2. Athletic Trainers:
- Athletic Trainers in this category must be nominated by an active member of the LATA.
- The ATC can make a presentation to the committee.
- The committee uses the following in consideration of candidates:
- Candidate mus have served as an ATC in Louisiana for at least 8 years (required)
Performs his/her profession at a high standard
- Calls made to other ATC's who have worked with or under the candidate
- Involvement in LATA, SEATA and NATA is required
- Attendance at LATA meetings (required)
- Participation in LATA committees (required)
- Previous awards relating to Athletic Training
3. Special Members:
- In the history of the LATA individuals, not athletic trainers or physicians, made significant contributions to the development to Athletic Training.
- Nominations for this category must be made by an athletic trainer, who is a member of the LATA.
- Nominations for the special category must be considered by the entire membership.
Members who want to nominate a candidate for the Hall of Fame, should fill out an application and send it to the Committee Chairman. All nominations must be complete and submitted by November 1st of each year and sent to:
III. Consideration and Notification:
Jim "Doc" Murphy, LAT ATC
Click here for the nomination paperwork.
- Each nomination application must be verified to validate the candidate's eligibility for consideration by December 1st.
- The committee keeps an ongoing list of nominations for consideration.
- Each application is reviewed by the committee during the Hall of Fame Committee Meeting held during the LATA Winter Business Meeting.
- All discussions of candidates by the committee are kept confidential.
- The committee considers the inductee and his/her family and friends ability to attend based on location of the summer educational symposium..
- When the committee completes their review and consideration process,
- The committee then determines if any candidate merits induction into the Hall of Fame with an annonymous vote of committee members.
- The Chair then submits a report the LATA President to include the total number of candidates considered and the name(s) of the Hall of Fame Inductees.
- The President shall then informs the honoree(s) by phone and letter/email.
- Each honoree may receive up to four tickets to the Induction Ceremony when he/she is inducted at the Summer Symposium. The honoree also receives four tickets to the Superdome Induction in December.